PHILADELPHIA – The Philadelphia University men's tennis team was upended by Division I Temple University 7-0 in a non-conference match on Tuesday morning at the Legacy Youth Tennis Center.
Philadelphia (3-7) had an opportunity to earn the doubles point with narrow defeats at No. 1 and No. 2.
In the No. 1 match, the duo of Celso de Vera Rehberger (Oviedo, Spain/Santa Maria del Naranco) and Luis Molina Megias (Gran Canaria, Spain/Atlantic School Garoe) were defeated by Temple's top team of Hicham Belkssir and Vineet Naran, 7-5. Jacobo Atri (Mexico City, Mexico/Colegio Hebreo Monte Sinai, AC) and Vincent Breer (Heidelberg, Germany/English Institut Heidelberg) suffered a 6-3 loss to Florian Mayer and Uladzimir Dorash in the No. 2 flight.
De Vera Rehberger pushed the Owls' Santiago Canete to the limit in the No. 1 singles match. he opened the match by taking first set 6-2, but Canete fought back to force a tiebreak with a 7-5 set two victory. Canete took the tiebreak 10-7 to earn a point for Temple (15-5).
Atri had his string of seven straight singles victories snapped with a 6-3, 6-0 setback in No. 4 singles action to Nicolas Paulus.
Philadelphia heads to West Chester for a non-conference match on Thursday, March 31 at 2 p.m.
Philadelphia U. 0 - Temple 7
1. Belkssir/Naran (TU) def. de Vera Rehberger/Molina Megias (PHILAU) 7-5
2. Mayer/Dorash (TU) def. Atri/Breer (PHILAU) 6-3
3. Canete/Artem Kapshuk (TU) def. James Pollard/Sean DeBlasio (PHILAU) 6-2
1. Canete (TU) def. de Vera Rehberger (PHILAU) 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Kapshuk (TU) def. Molina Megias (PHILAU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Dorash (TU) def. Breer (PHILAU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Paulus (TU) def. Atri (PHILAU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Mayer (TU) def. Pollard (PHILAU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Belkssir (TU) def. DeBlasio (PHILAU) 6-1, 6-1