PHILADELPHIA – The Philadelphia University men's tennis team kicked off its spring season with a 5-4 victory over Bloomsburg University Saturday afternoon in the Legacy Youth Tennis and Education Center.
The Rams faced a 2-0 deficit after dropping the number one and three doubles matches. Then, Jacobo Atri (Mexico City, Mexico/Colegio Hebreo Monte Sinai, AC) and Joseph Sison (Yardley, Pa./Notre Dame) started to get things going in the right direction for Philadelphia with an 8-6 victory over Pablo Hererro and Henrique Stemmer in the No. 2 flight.
The momentum from that doubles victory carried over to singles play as the top four spots in the Philadelphia lineup all won to quickly lock up the match.
Sison got things started as he knotted the match at two after dispatching of Steve Williams 6-2, 6-2 to claim the No. 4 singles match. Atri earned a 6-2, 6-2 win over Stemmer in the No. 3 flight to put the Rams in front 3-2.
Oskar Haedicke (Iserlohn, Germany/Gymnasium An der Stenner Iserlohn) kept the charge going with a 6-1, 6-2 victory against Hererro in a clash of No. 1's. Shortly after Haedicke's win, Liviu Trifoi (Wyomissing, Pa./Wyomissing) secured the match with a hard-fought 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5) triumph in the No. 2 flight over Gerard Puig.
Philadelphia has nearly three weeks off before returning to action at St. Thomas Aquinas on Friday, March 10 at 3 p.m.
Philadelphia U. 5, Bloomsburg 4
1. Oskar Haedicke (PHI) def. Pablo Hererro (BU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Liviu Trifoi (PHI) def. Gerard Puig (BU) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Jacobo Atri (PHI) def. Henrique Stemmer (BU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Joseph Sison (PHI) def. Steve Williams (BU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Leo Nakasone (BU) def. Cesar Solis (PHI) 6-4, 6-2
6. Pedro Andari (BU) def. James Pollard (PHI) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Puig/Williams (BU) def. Haedicke/Trifoi (PHI) 8-5
2. Atri/Sison (PHI) def. Hererro/Stemmer (BU) 8-6
3. Nakasone/Andari (BU) def. Sean DeBlasio/Pollard (PHI) 8-3
Philadelphia U. 2-1