KUTZTOWN, Pa. – The Philadelphia University men's tennis team used strong singles play to knock off Kutztown University in a non-conference match Monday afternoon on the Keystone Courts.
Philadelphia (9-7) won five of the six singles matches—four in straight sets—to overcome a 2-1 deficit at the end of doubles play.
Luis Molina Megias (Gran Canaria, Spain/Atlantic School Garoe) and Oskar Haedicke (Iserlohn, Germany/Gymnasium An der Stenner Iserlohn) both notched 6-4, 6-2 victories. Molina Megias defeated Nikolay Kodinov at No. 1 and Haedicke knocked off Martin Munoz in the No. 2 match. Haedicke is up to a team-high 13 singles wins, while Molina Megias has five.
Liviu Trifoi (Wyomissing, Pa./Wyomissing) picked up his eighth win of the season as he claimed the No. 4 match David Nunez Contreras, 6-0, 6-3. At No. 6 singles, Juan Velosa (Bogota, Columbia/Gimnasio Campestre San Rafael) was a 6-1, 7-5 winner over Benjamin Kelly.
Joseph Sison (Yardley, Pa./Notre Dame) was the only Ram to need three sets to pick up a victory. Sison dropped the first set of his No. 5 match against Josh Carl, 6-3. He took over the match winning the final two sets 6-3, 6-1 for win number eight.
Trifoi and Sison teamed up to earn Philadelphia's first point of the afternoon, defeating Kutztown's No. 3 team of Joan Oliver Perez and Carl, 8-4. The duo now has a team-high eight wins.
Philadelphia plays its final match before the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference Tournament on Wednesday, April 19 at Gwynedd Mercy University at 3:30 p.m.
PHILADELPHIA U. 6, KUTZTOWN 3
1. Luis Molina Megias (PHI) def. Nikolay Kodinov (KU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Oskar Haedicke (PHI) def. Martin Munoz (KU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Gabriel Nogara Souza (KU) def. Jacobo Atri (PHI) 7-5, 5-7, 6-3
4. Liviu Trifoi (PHI) def. David Nunez Contreras (KU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Joseph Sison (PHI) def. Josh Carl (KU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Juan Velosa (PHI) def. Benjamin Kelly (KU) 6-1, 7-5
1. Kodinov/Nogara Souza (KU) def. Molina Megias/Haedicke (PHI) 8-6
2. Munoz/Nunez Contreras (KU) def. Sean DeBlasio/Atri (PHI) 9-8
3. Trifoi/Sison (PHI) def. Carl/Oliver Perez (KU) 8-4
Philadelphia U. 9-7