SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. – The Philadelphia University women's tennis team picked up a 9-0 non-conference victory over Shippensburg University Saturday afternoon.
With the victory, Philadelphia evens its record at 2-2, while Shippensburg is 0-1.
The Rams cruised out to a 3-0 lead with victories in doubles matches. The No. 1 tandem of Jala Hamada (Giza, Egypt/Dar El-Tarbia, IGCSE) and Linde Zwaan (Apeldoorn, Netherlands/Gymnasium Apeldoorn) earned its first win of the year, defeating Catherine Miller and Gabbie Binder, 8-1. Mariana Sampaio (Brusque, Brazil/Colegio Consul Carlos Renaux) and Usha Baublitz (New Freedom, Pa./Susquehannock) won their second straight match with an 8-3 triumph against Emilie Luttman and Kaylin Gallagher. In the No. 3 flight, Katelyn High (Lancaster, Pa./Lampeter-Strasburg) and Emily Zygmunt (Yardley, Pa./Pennsbury) had a dominating 8-0 win over Hannah Coath and Victoria Golanti.
Sampaio brought home Philadelphia's fourth point as she was awarded the No. 3 singles match after an injury to Luttman caused her retirement. The match was tied at three at the time of the injury.
Hamada and Zwaan were both 6-0, 6-0 winners at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively. Zygmunt earned her first win in the No. 4 position, knocking off Gallagher 6-1, 6-3. High was a 6-2, 6-1 winner over Coath at No. 5 singles. Tabitha Porter (Sumner, Maine/Libson) completed the sweep as she picked up a 6-0, 6-1 win in her match against Megan Moorhead.
Philadelphia returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 14 with a Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference match at the University of the Sciences at 3 p.m.
PHILADELPHIA U. 9, SHIPPENSBURG 0
1. Jala Hamada (PHI) def. Catherine Miller (SHIP) 6-0, 6-0
2. Linde Zwaan (PHI) def. Gabbie Binder (SHIP) 6-0, 6-0
3. Mariana Sampaio (PHI) def. Emilie Luttman (SHIP) Retirement
4. Emily Zygmunt (PHI) def. Kaylin Gallagher (SHIP) 6-1, 6-3
5. Katelyn High (PHI) def. Hannah Coath (SHIP) 6-2, 6-1
6. Tabitha Porter (PHI) def. Megan Moorhead (SHIP) 6-0, 6-1
1. Hamada/Zwaan (PHI) def. Miller/Binder (SHIP) 8-1
2. Sampaio/Usha Baublitz (PHI) def. Luttman/Gallgher (SHIP) 8-3
3. High/Zygmunt (PHI) def. Coath/Galanti (SHIP) 8-0